Wrapping the kids in Christmas crochet

For past years I've tried making everyone happy and last year I made pyjamas, Christmas stockings, a big blanket, an advent calendar- the list goes on. This year I thought I'd focus on a couple of items and chose to focus on the kids.

Mermaid tails
My daughter had requested mermaid tails for some of her dolls and was very specific as to what she wanted: a blue crocheted tail for Rapunzel, a green sewn tail for Arial and a gold sewn tail for Snow White. "Well at least she knows her own mind", I thought. For the sewn tails I went simple and cut out the mermaid tail shapes, sewed them wrong sides together, created a small folded over waistband and placed a piece of small elastic to secure it. They were a little tight but worked although I did swear at Snow White for having fat hips (something greatly unjustified). But I had success. Then on to the crocheted tail. For this I had decided to create a scale effect by using a shell shape. I started from the stomach and worked down the legs, working in rounds and using 3 triple stitches per stitch to create the shell effect. I also decreased the row size as I went. At the base I created two fan effects of the tail fins. I would detail this pattern but I shall have to make it again first as I completed Rapunzel's tail at 2.30am so am a little sketchy on the details! They were very enthusiastically received by Merida on Christmas Day so I'm pleased with the results.

[caption id="attachment_135" align="aligncenter" width="620"]Merida's mermaid tails Merida's mermaid tails[/caption]

Next on the to-do list were two amigurumi dragons. I gave our son, Finn, a crocheted dragon for his birthday in July using a pattern by Lucy Ravenscar  (Fierce Little Dragon) supposed to deliver one to my niece, Beth, at roughly the same time as it was her birthday near Finn's. Unfortunately at the time I was ill so unable to complete the dragon and have been promising it ever since. Beth, Finn and Merida are all obsessed with the films 'How To Train Your Dragon' 1 and 2. As it was Beth who introduced my kids to the films I felt her dragon should be black to represent Toothless (the main dragon in the films). I wasn't sure what colour spikes to give him as the dragon himself is entirely black. Merida, with her scarily accurate memory, suggested I give him blue spikes. It wasn't unit Boxing Day when we watched 'How To Train Your Dragon' 2 that I realised Merida had remembered the film very accurately as there is a part when Toothless' spikes turn blue. I was amazed and also very pleased that my representation was now accurate. Merida had requested a dragon the opposite colours of Finn's so she got green with purple spikes.

[caption id="attachment_137" align="aligncenter" width="620"]Dragons Dragons[/caption]

Toothless hat
For Finn (the biggest dragon fan of all) I thought I'd do something a little special. On the magical amazing site that is Pinterest I found the perfect pattern for a Toothless hat. The pattern I used I bought from Etsy seller FunnyCreation http://www.etsy.com/listing/104097529/crochet-pattern-pdf-toothless-hat-beanie and I have to say this pattern is amazing. It is 19 pages long and covers all sizes from newborn to XL adult. Also, it can be made as just a beanie or with ear flaps too. I chose the ear flap option as I felt this would suit my son best. It was also very quick to make as it is mainly composed of triple stitches. It is well designed and quite robust. I also made him some black mittens match (pattern by Crochetme http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/109505.aspx)Best of all these were fantastically received on Christmas Day so I felt I'd done the patterns justice.

[caption id="attachment_136" align="aligncenter" width="620"]Toothless hat and gloves Toothless hat and gloves[/caption]

I thought my timing was so good this year and was proud of myself.....until I realised I'd forgotten to create the crochet booties for my newborn niece. I managed one by Boxing Day and presented the parents with that. They were amused and forgiving of my timing issues, after all it wouldn't be Christmas without me frantically creating something. Also I was given some Tunisian crochet hooks so am looking forward to getting to grips with another form of the craft in the New Year.

Here's wishing you all a lovey festive season, may your children wrap themselves in crochet, your days be merry and bright and may all your New Year days be bright.

Josie.

Comments