Merida's cardigan

For Merida's birthday she asked for me to make her a jumper. I'd never crocheted a jumper before, let alone one for a child, but I thought “that will be easy.” I'd bought some wool in Scotland over the summer which was a nice super chunky Sirdar Indie in pink, red and indigo. I looked for a pattern but I couldn't find one that was very....well Merida!!

I made a radical decision and found a pattern which was a child's cardigan, but for a much younger child. I'm an addict of Inside Crochet magazine so searched through my stash to find a suitable pattern. I came across a pattern for a child from 6 months to 2 years which is a bolero style cardigan made in a light 4ply wool for a summer garment. Because Merida is a January baby and I had the super chunky wool I decided this would work well, producing a much thicker winter jumper. I then applied a lot of carefully calculated measurements to make sure it would fit.....ok that's not true. Aware I was running out of time I put hook to wool and simply hoped for the best.

The pattern was (as is usual with Inside Crochet magazine) laid out well and easy to read. It was comprised of sections as any jumper pattern would be: front left and right, back, sleeves and edging. I got slightly confused over the neckline wherein a reduction in stitches simply happens in one row to create the curve around the neck. This is the only bit of the pattern I questioned and I am still unsure whether this was me or the pattern itself (probably the former).

The combination of super chunky wool and triple stitches meant it made up quickly, and as I had a couple of weeks to complete this I was pleased with the speed. Once various parts were finished I fastened off and left a long tail which, surprisingly, wasn't suggested in the pattern. I used this when sewing the edges together.

[caption id="attachment_147" align="aligncenter" width="620"]Piecing together Piecing together[/caption]

As with sewing you sew the inside seems together first at the shoulders across the top and then the sleeves at the shoulder, finally completing the seems along the sleeve and down under the arm. It looked like a cardigan!! I was thrilled.

[caption id="attachment_146" align="aligncenter" width="620"]Detail of edging Detail of edging[/caption]

The edging was quick to do with a combination of triple stitches and chain stitches to create a scallop effect. Finally I needed to sew on the button....which proved the trickiest bit of the whole garment! Basically my yarn needle was too big for the button's holes so this took a little longer than I wanted. I even attempted using a plastic needle from Merida's sewing kit but this failed me too. Finally a sewing needle did the trick, although even that broke on the last pass through. Time for new needles I think!

The finished Merida cardi

It was finished and in time too. So it was presented to Merida on her birthday and it fit! At first I thought she didn't like it (cue the sinking feeling) but that evening when some of our friends came to help her celebrate AND the next day at her main party she wore the cardigan. As far as I'm concerned that's a seal of approval and now the weather is very cold I'm sure she'll wear it more.

First crochet cardigan/bolero complete. Now to finish that jumper for myself that I started last September!

Comments