Waste of yarn?

A few weeks ago I saw an article on Facebook about a crochet onesie for a man. My initial reaction was one of high amusement as it was very retro and there are only a few men in this world who would be brave enough, let alone able, to pull it off. Most of the men that sprang to mind when thinking who this would suit were rock stars.

People started commenting on the article (here's the link if you're interested:
Crochet onesie for men) and at first most, such as myself, were amused but a few people didn't find it funny and in fact one even commented that it was a waste of yarn and time. Someone replied that we shouldn't stifle others creativity and if one decided to dedicate their time and yarn stocks to this project who are we to stop them? I have to say I agreed with the latter.

In my brief crocheter's experience I've come across many patterns that I personally found ludicrous e.g. a men's tie, a lamp shade, a dog lead! But I never once thought of writing to the person who obviously worked hard to create the items I didn't like. If you don't like an item of clothing in a shop you put it back and move on, you don't have words with the designer about how it was a complete waste of time!

Basically it's a matter of taste. The onesie in question was ridiculous but I found it highly amusing. If it had been a superhero onesie it would've received more attention for being "brilliant" than daft. When did crochet become a craft only for the serious? I always thought it had a lighthearted feel to the craft as it is so versatile. It's the difference between something created for the fashion industry and cat walks and something you'd choose to buy/wear.

It got me looking through a book of crochet my sister picked up for me in a charity shop. The book was created in 1972 so the fashion of the era really shone through, especially in the beach wear section. It may be funny now but at the time it was fashion and some of the pieces would sell well in the retro market. I mean look:


IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

Being of the arts persuasion myself, even if I wouldn't personally make or wear these garments, I couldn't knock the amazing creativity that had gone into this piece of work. It's not hurting anyone so what's the problem? Turn the page as I did with the lamp shade etc.

So create, people and be free. Express yourself through your patterns, your crochet, your sewing, your painting, your singing, your art. It's your expression, that is all. Let your imagination run riot...just as this lady did as the Queen of sarky crochet

Comments