The therapy of crafting

The last couple of weeks I've been ill. No beating around the bush. As a friend said I had a proper illness and wasn't just tired from overdoing it. I had laryngitis. Doesn't sound like much after that build up but it's actually a very demoralising 'itis', especially when one of the loves in your life is singing. With laryngitis there's a risk of really damaging your voice if you sing too soon so I've absconded, and it's really affected me! I thought "I'll turn to crochet instead. That'll cheer me up". But I have felt so exhausted I couldn't even lift my hook!

The lovely Frank has seen me through, constantly reminding me how I'm allowed to be ill (but only occasionally) and I have to let my body recover. I'm not a very patient person so have needed to be told this daily. Poor Frank! Friends and family have been lovely too. I've been presented with lovely 'cheer up' gifts - a beautiful painting from Merida, flowers from a couple of mates and lots of chocolate and sympathy. (I'm sure the chocolate isn't good for laryngitis but it helped the mental state.)

Absconding from my favourite arts and crafts has been difficult. As I said singing is one of my great loves and to miss the (on average) 3 rehearsals I have a week has been....odd! Just before I got ill I had the main part in a play (acting is another love). It probably helped exhaust me on my route to laryngitis but it was a real success and I thoroughly enjoyed it to do. Being able to physically see my creations or the affect they have on an audience is what I really love.
My plan after the play had been half term with the kids and simultaneously catching up on my music learning and crochet projects but both those had to go on hold.

Being ill during half term was horrible. Normally I like to take my kids on days out and in the evening relax with a bit of crochet. Nothing but bed for me that week instead. I'd hoped that once recovered I'd crack on with the 6 birthday projects for March plus the 2 left over from February (1 is mine) but still can't do more than a few rows a day.

Isn't it odd how the crafts we look to that we love and that really highlight our lives can make us cry too? My 3 craft loves keep me happy and help fight a constant diversion in my life- depression. Most of the time I bury myself in the crochet, acting and singing along with caring for my family and it's kept at bay. But after 2 weeks off its creeping in. How to keep it at bay when I still can't sing? Create a wall of crochet around myself.

I've started learning Tunisian Crochet which is a little slower for me to craft but learning something is really helping. Good old crochet, helping me through by the hook.

So now onwards and upwards.  We're off for our Sunday afternoon dog walk at one of my favourite places, accompanied by one of my mum's brilliant funny knits for me- a purple flying suit and hat!


One day I know I'll get online and sell my goods and it's that determination that keeps me going in difficult times. I'm a stubborn woman and will not let challenges stay in my way for long.

Now Josie, stop whining and find your wool.

Comments