Branding

I'm currently sitting in a coffee shop waiting for my boy to finish at a birthday party and I'm listening (almost unwillingly) to Sting on the stereo and I'm surrounded by signs like these:



As someone who is busy working on her own branding and wanting to make a (currently very droll) on-line shop a success it makes me think. Signs like these are almost iconic these days, as is proven by a coffee shop using them in it's decor. So how does one design a brand that will compete?

 Well I've come to the conclusion that without a team of marketing people and a fair whack of money you simply don't. This is not to be negative, just honest. How can little old me compete with the likes of Cadbury or Martini? Luckily I don't need to as they are nothing to do with crochet (even if both are consumed in the making process) The best I can do as a very small starter business (with limited time to dedicate to it) is be myself. I read this in Mollie Makes (I think). 



But the big question is who do I want to be online? Is my public personality different to my private one? Of course it is but how much of my private personality do I want to be public? I think this is the key though. Be myself enough for my brand to represent me and what I do. Be myself on here (my blog) as this is my musings board and the place for such discussion.

And still I wonder, when others see signs such as this:

does is make them want a cup of tea? Will my brand make people want to buy crochet?

I need another coffee and to think it over obviously.....and do some crochet.


By for now.

Josie

    Comments