Sleep and sheep

It's been a tough couple of weeks here in Frank and Josie's house. After our wonderful French holiday we are not only exhausted, but we have brought a cold home with us from France. Not the kind of souvenir I would normally aim to bring home! It's been a horrible cold too, real painful stuff. Headaches, runny noses, sore throats and lots of frayed tempers. (Calpol sponsorship anyone?) On top of that we've not had enough sleep because of it. It's been one grumpy household.

We also missed a weekend away because of it. I missed a rehearsal and a small gig I was supposed to do as my throat was so sore that I could hardly eat let along sing! Plus the weather turned into rain, lots and lots of rain. At least it was appropriate weather to hide under a blanket. (I'd love to say it was a blanket I'd crocheted myself but it wasn't).

img_2408Despite it all we've managed to get on with life. The dogs have been walked and meals have been cooked and eaten. Lots of films have been watched and we are all healing. I'm only just learning that taking time out and slowing down is the only way to get over such things. I'm not very good at it either. I just keep going until I fall over. Not a good approach but after three nights of the same bedtime as the kids I realised that sleep is so important.

To cheer myself up I've drunk lots of hot drinks from my new Paris mug to remind me of lovely, carefree (well as carefree as it can be with three kids) days. I've also started making sheep! This all links to Yarndale. Aren't they cute little fellas...


Like many crochet lovers I follow the lovely Lucy at Attic24. She's one of the organisers of Yarndale and has been referring to it for months now. (Not really surprising when you're one of the organisers). One thing they do is a community project. The idea is to get those from the world of crochet and knitting to make and donate a little something or in their words "We feel it is a unique way for us to bring people together via crochet and knitting, to celebrate yarn and colour and to enable each one of us to be a part of something really big and beautiful and visually inspirational." So this year they are getting everyone to make sheep. Once Yarndale is over they can sell off the flock to raise money for Martin House Hospice.

They're a lovely easy make too. I thought there would en the usual fiddly bits of amigurumi but there aren't really. The smallest bits (tail and ears) are also quite easy and the body is made in one piece so no need to add legs.

And here is the mandatory headless sheep shot to prove how easy it is!


I did this sheep because I'd desperately wanted to go to Yarndale this year but circumstances have prevented me. However, it's good to know that a little piece of my work will be there bleeting with her friends.

It's hard to accept when you want a life covered in wool and yarny goodness that you can't attend what promises to be a brilliant festival. I've promised myself I will go next year as my reward for working hard for my craft.

Oh and here she is with her head!img_2405-2

I highly recommend it if you fancy being involved but don't have much time or are unsure what to do. I enjoyed making it so much I made another for a 1 year old's birthday. I think more may be on the cards though as my kids all loved them.

Details of the Little Wooly Sheep can be found here so you can make one yourself.

Take care and be well!

Josie

Comments