Big Hook Crochet by Emma Friedlander-Collins

For my sister's birthday I decided to make her something chunky and fun so I made her this big, textured cushion.



The pattern came from Emma Friedlander-Collins book Big Hook Crochet

You may have heard of Emma from her Steel and Stitch blog. Well, this book emerged from her love of big hook crochet. She got her first hook by asking her husband to make her one and he did with the end of a broom handle!

The patterns inside are easy to follow and mostly simple pattern repeats, well the ones I've tried anyway!

They're great stash-busting patterns too. Most patterns use 5 - 8 strands of yarn in various sizes.

I've been trying to make myself some slippers or house boots (as Emma calls them) from this book but I've run out of yarn and can't find a replacement so one boot sits on my crochet box and looks lonely. 

However, I have completed two patterns successfully from this book without running out of yarn.

The first was a pair of slippers for my friend. These were really lovely to make and the bonus with big hook crochet is you can see your mistakes. The downside to big hook crochet is everyone else can see your mistakes too! Happily these slippers were no trouble asthey were quick, fun to make and they were also gratefully received.

I love the contrasting colour of the soles and the uppers. It works really well and they feel nice as well. That's another thing about the big hook crochet - texture. Everything can be gauged by feel as well as look.

[caption width="719" id="attachment_1306" align="alignnone"] Here are the big hook slippers [/caption]

I should say at this point that the majority of patterns are made with a 23mm or 25mm hook. I'll write more about that another time, but for now suffice to say, big hook crochet is a different experience when you're not used to it.

Now the cushion! I loved making this cushion. It was made with 8 strands of chunky wool/yarn and it was easy to get muddled at first. Once I got used to it the yarn started to behave more and less tangles ensued.
The basket weave was a lovely pattern to create. You could really it see it come into being quickly and the texture was divine.


I didn't use the yarn suggested in the book but raided my own stash instead and used a carefully selected combination of yarns for either side. One side I made more blue and the other more red. I didn't have enough to complete both sides in the same colours as started so substituted a couple of yarns here and there but kept the main colour running throughout.

One snag I hit was weaving in the ends. Normally I'd do this with a yarn needle but, what with there being 8 strands and all, I had to use a smaller crochet hook instead, which Emma foresaw and suggested also. I used a 10mm hook as that worked well for me. There were so many strands that weaving in the ends took a little while!



After that it was simply a matter of joining the two sides with a few less strands around the cushion inner...



And voilĂ ! A cushion was born.



I'm really chuffed with this cushion, just as I was with the slippers. The book is a great introduction to anyone wanting to try big hook crochet and has some really fun projects to try as well. I want to make my daughters one of the chunky necklaces each. My eldest would love it and my youngest would have great fun with it. It's great for some quick projects too but don't be fooled - I found the cushion took just as long as a smaller hooked cushion would have. It was a new technique for me so I had to adjust and that took time. Also, making sure all 8 strands went where they were supposed to was sometimes a challenge. I definitely want to make more though. I've got my eye on the hooded cowl for myself. Must buy some more yarn first though, I don't need to I just want to.

Comments