Under pressure



Part 1 (written two weeks ago)

Yes, I hear Queen too when I hear the words ‘under pressure’. Although, I must confess to enjoying the type of pressure I’m currently under. There have been a lot of articles floating around the internet about taking the pressure of yourself at Christmas time by not getting so caught up in presents or parties or the perfect meal. For me Christmas has always been magical. My parents have always loved making a big deal of Christmas. Due to the performing arts being strong in both of them Christmas has always been a time of music and theatre. So for me, being involved in shows or concerts near Christmas time, whilst adding pressure, also adds a certain something for me.

We’re always under pressure to make Christmas right for someone else. I think the main thing is make Christmas enjoyable for you.
Some people find their Christmases are made by the joy they give others. So I say this: do what works for you. If you need a year off then take it. If making every single gift brings you genuine joy and satisfaction then do it. If you want a party have one. If you want pizza for dinner on Christmas Day then do it with a sprig if holly on top.

For me I want it to be magical so I’ll make a certain amount of presents but buy some others. I’ll keep Santa’s legend alive until my kids are ready to become Santa themselves. I’ll cook a big dinner because I enjoy cooking. I’ll make mince pies and sing carols loudly because that’s fun. I may need to sleep from Boxing Day until New Years but I will sleep with a smile on my face.



Part 2 (today)

However, I must confess to certain reservations in the face of exhaustion. Since I started writing this post many things have caught up with me. Sleep deprivation, post-show blues, pain, anxiety and more of that self-inflicted pressure. I’ve been talking to a friend of mine a lot recently who is also a crafter and also has 3 kids. She spoke candidly today of how the joy of Christmas seems to be leaving both of us early. We are both stay-at-home mums who are grateful for what our husbands do for us but we both sometimes feel that what we do goes unnoticed, not unappreciated, just unnoticed almost like we were house elves. 

At this time of year the issue comes from wanting to keep Christmas magical for everyone from those kids who no longer hold Santa dear to those who truly believe, from adults who just want to hide to those who want to celebrate every second, from the Grinch to Arthur Christmas - we want everyone to feel the magic.  Because of this we sometimes let it slip in ourselves. We try and do extra stuff whilst still keeping on top of the washing or meal cooking. Every second is filled and sometimes it becomes too much. It’s easy to say take a year off. It’s not easy for me to do. I’m good at giving advice, not taking it. 


Part 3 - find the magic

So here’s what I’m going to do:

  • Not panic if my children have a few less presents and get money on Christmas Day. They like money! They can spend it on whatever they like.
  • Happily crochet on until my family’s gifts are done. This has become a tradition as have Boxing Day crochet gifts. Who cares. It’s the thought.
  • Concentrate on a few key presents (the work of Santa’s elves is never done) that truly matter.
  • Put the carols on loudly and sing so the whole street hears it.
  • Watch a Christmas film with the kids! (I’ve not actually managed this yet).
  • Buy that whole duck I found randomly and stick it in the pot on Christmas Day. Screw organised meals. This year I’m making most of them up on the spot.
  • Find the magic in those random acts of kindness and give and take. Like giving a mate a crochet Christmas tree ornament.
On the subject of random acts of kindness I have to tell you the perfect Christmas story. Today I asked on a Facebook forum if anyone knew where in Japan I could get a Christmasaurus toy. Now the Christmasaurus is a lovely children’s book my kids are reading this year about a Christmas dinosaur that pulls Santa’s sleigh. Now our 4 year old asked for a Christmasaurus toy from Santa. She onot requested this last weekend and it was the only thing she asked him for. I looked online but I could only find one in the U.K. and I was doubtful as to whether it would reach here in time. I wrote on this Facebook forum and lo and behold one mum mentioned she was flying back today and would look in WHSmith at the airport. The next thing I know she’s bought one and it’s on a plane to Japan with her. Now I don’t know this wonderful woman and she doesn’t know me. But she has helped out a mama in distress and it has lit up my world and filled me with the Christmas spirit I was starting to loose. Also, others have commented on post how wonderful she is and it’s a true Christmas story. Ok it’s not anyone being saved from living on the streets or finding love in adversity but it’s made me happy. I hope it makes you happy too.

On that note I’m going to sleep.

Night, night. Xxx




Comments