Building a life


Hi all, it’s been a while, eh? Not intentional, just been busy with life. The latest news here is that, as of next week, the kids will be off school as the government has decided to close all schools due to the coronavirus. Its an attempt to contain the spread but I’m not convinced anything will work now. I just hope we’re not confined to our homes otherwise we will actually go mad. But for now I’m seeing this as an extra holiday and the kids and I will explore. I may need extra coffee in the mornings and extra gin in the evening but I get my kids for a month. We have lots of mountains and scenic areas we want to explore and I’m compiling a list for reference. If the weather turns then we will concentrate on Lego and teaching the kids how to crochet. It’s a post-apocalyptic life skill so I’m definitely getting that one in over this month. Dish cloths here we come!

Before this latest development of we were gently building up our lives here. Our eldest still has some anxiety issues so that’s spurred me on to do what I do well: make our house a home. I’ve bought more plants for inside, am planning things with curtains, bought new rugs and, whilst the weather is perfect for it, we are making our gravel-covered courtyard into a garden. Let me show you what we’re working with.

As you can see our garden goes around our entire house. Three sides are little more than a path but the kids like running circuits around it so could be worse. But still, not terribly interesting, is it?


Just gravel along three sides of the house. We plan to lay faux grass to give this area colour and character. Plus some plants along the fence. 
We’re trying to make it interesting by adding plants here and there and the kids are making it interesting  by adding sand toys and tents and jumpers everywhere! But at least it looks more lived in.

Another issue is we’re next to two quiet roads. The house is on a hill so the garden space has been built up higher to aid privacy as well as sensible levelling  but we’re still surrounded by tarmac. My first solution was these simple bamboo screens. I only got around to doing half the fence before they went out of the shops (Japan is very seasonal in shopping habits and it doesn’t matter what the weather is doing!). So first thing when they return is get those screens up. No one really looks at us as they pass due to the height difference (were above their heads) but it gives me the illusion of privacy which is what I want in my own garden. Plus I like the this step. It’s a nice place to sit.

Thanks to social media I’ve got hold of some faux grass and big pots for free. We plan on ‘planting’ the grass on top of the gravel to give the garden a greener feeling. On top of that we will put some plants in the big pots and strategically place them around the garden. The camellias in the picture above are in flower now. Aren’t they lovely?


We also have a square yard-like area to one side. The plan is to develop this square into a seated area. We’ll move the washing line (and tent temporarily) and add some more tiles for a patio. Also, we’re looking at shading or a shelter for the garden. It either has to be permanent enough to withstand typhoons or temporary enough to take down easily. Either a sail or gazebo is the plan at this stage. We found some gazebos we can get fairly cheaply secondhand and want to get one as soon as possible. Before we know it it will be too hot or humid to be outside and we’ll be hiding inside with the air-con!


We’ve already added some plants along the fence


The biggest thing we’ve done is make a tiny flowerbed. There was a perfect place for this. Next to our garden gate and steps was a gap, a dead space really. My son found it too much to resist jumping from this point down onto the steps and before our 4 year old followed him and broke herself I decided to make it a flowerbed. So we put some bricks one end to keep the soil in and the children out. Then some leave on the gavel followed by cardboard to give it some stability as it settles. Plus the leaves and cardboard will rot and add some nutrients to the new soil. Finally two bags of compost and some plants.

The tulips are now over and the hyacinths are a bit sad but they still smell wonderful. This is the kind of bed that will develop and change as we get new plants. A friend has offered us some rosemary as her plants are going mad. I’m thinking by the entrance gate would be a lovely place for rosemary. What a smell as we walk in! There’s nothing like a nice smell to invite you home. The hyacinths are currently doing a wonderful job of that. I stop and smell them every single time I pass.


Finally more plants here, there and everywhere. And there are always roses. My mum always has roses and her mum had a garden full of them. She swore by feeding them the dregs of the teapot. I think I need to follow suit in that. For now I shall enjoy our developing garden.


Right I’m off to enjoy the sunshine and buy some gin before I have the children for a solid month.

Take care all, stay safe and may the nasty virus pass you by.

Comments