Looking in a mirror


Hi there, peeps. How are we all? Everyone coping alright? How’s the lockdown/state of emergency/ ease of restrictions treating you? We’re feeling very far away from our family and friends right now. It’s so odd seeing how differently Japan are handling the Covid19 situation to the rest of the world. Being in a group of friends who mainly hail from the UK or the US we regularly discuss how things are “back home.” 

Lately, however, I feel that I’ve taken more of an inward look. As regular readers will know I suffer with depression and endometriosis. One of my focuses has been my personal health. I could sit and drink all day but it’s better to keep a lid on it and stay focussed. So I focus on the kids when they need my help and in turn I’ve explained to them that I need rest every day too. I’ve also realised that my health not only effects me but everyone around me. Something I really should have realised sooner and perhaps I did but I didn’t acknowledge it. Some days I find the best thing about this whole situation is having the time together to talk and see what each other is about on a daily basis. We know each other but now we’re getting to see a whole other side of each other and it’s interesting. I see so much of myself and my husband in our kids but I also see who they are becoming the wonderful individuals that are becoming stronger each day and more aware. In turn we are becoming aware of us as parents. It’s always been there, in the background, but now it’s coming to the fore. Our time in the forests and mountains we’ve found as a family have been so good. We have enjoyed it so much. Bonding and being and becoming stronger as a unit.



I’ve started listening to a few podcasts too that have helped my brain relax and find a bit more of myself. (There’s a lot to discover in my head!). My favourites so far are the Scrummy Mummies with Philippa Perry and a podcast from Theo Rossi’s Theory with Zachary Levi  The first is very psychological look at being a parent. It’s made us rethink stuff to do with our kids and how we handle certain situations. The best piece of advice was to own it when something is because of you e.g. wanting to leave the park because you are cold or admitting when it’s you who is grumpy. Plus these women look at this in a very real but amusing way that doesn’t make you feel like shit but helps you look at things in a new light. As for the Theory well that was a bit deeper and yet still amusing. Zachary Levi himself has suffered with mental health issues and spoke honestly and openly about how we all need to self-reflect a little (or a lot) every now and then. Also, they cover the social discrimination that is still associated with mental health. I thoroughly recommend having a listen.


And there has been some crochet as well. I’ve actually managed to make crochet happen quite a lot lately and it’s nice to find a space for it in my day. I’ve written before about how crochet can help your mental health and at these uncertain and unusual times it’s nice to do what we can to help ourselves. Here’s my decapitated unicorn....well actually it’s not sewn together yet. It’s only my daughter’s Christmas present so not late at all! Um........
  

Anyway the kids have taken a fresh interest in crochet too. I started teaching them a while ago but e moved and the got bored at not progressing at supernatural speed so they left it for a while. However, these last few days, with time on our hands and being in the same place, we looked again. They’re mainly making things out of a simple chain stitch for now but are happy with that. Lots of friendship bracelets coming up!

I love that they want to have a go. Post-apocalyptic train has begun, although hopefully they won’t need it for a while.


And then there’s our new addition. We have a hamster called Scarlett Johamster (do you get it?) and we’ve been busy training her.


I didn’t realise how much you can train a hamster but it’s great fun. She’s fast so we’ve had to be prepared and very awake (which considering she’s nocturnal means either end of our day when I’m half asleep). We’ve made her a hamster playground, weighed up the pros and cons of a hamster ball and gotten her a large one and pad the walls in the one room she’s allowed in and started picking her up regularly now. It’s good because we need it be able to check her and it means we’re part way to making her happy enough to be a snuggle hamster. I’m even looking at making her a hamster harness so she can have a bit more free reign. She’s a real cutie and after an initial set back or two (known as bloody painful bites) were getting there. My son especially is good with her but he’s brilliant with all animals which makes the rest of us slightly jealous. We’ve been spoiling her and found out she loves monkey nuts and walnuts and cheese! Treats galore.....well not too much because e don’t want a fat , unhealthy hamster.

I was trying to get a good picture for you all to see her but she’s too fast and won’t pose well. Ha ha ha. The kids were trying to help me by distracting her but obviously I need the sports mode on. Finally we get a couple of good(ish) photos. Well hello little hamster. (Took ages for me to get a close up and still it’s blurry and the best I could do!)

And that’s us in a walnut shell.
Theo Rossi with Zachary Levi.Theo Rossi with Zachary Levi.Theo Rossi with Zachary Levi.

Comments