The overdue unicorn

There’s so much going on in the world right now that I’m going to focus on one thing today: crochet. It’s been so bloody long since I’ve posted about just crochet in one post that I felt like have a little moment in my own crochet world.

I have finally finished the crochet unicorn I promised for my eldest (you know, the equine crazy lass) for, wait for it, CHRISTMAS! So it’s a little late but I’ve been informed by my children that it’s not my most delayed gift. Here she is (name yet to be decided)



So this little cutie came about due to my big girl’s love of the equine world. I think she would actually be a horse if she could! She definitely wants to own one and keeps telling us so but as we have nowhere to put a pony (let alone afford one) I thought I’d give her a different equine creature - a unicorn. I came across this pattern in a pattern book free with a Mollie Makes issue and it seemed the perfect gift for Christmas, you know, magical gift at a magical time of year. But I massively failed in delivering her in time. As it was taking so long I let her know what I was making (as everyone’s Christmas presents we late last year) and she was thrilled. Last night it struck me that I was nearly 7 months late with this and she needed another pony in her life and a little cheering up. At 12 she’s now very aware of the fact that her brother and sister get birthdays nice and distant from Christmas and she doesn’t with just a few days in between the two. With her brother’s birthday coming up I decided to dedicate my time to finishing this little girl for my big girl. Last night I stayed up late knowing that the main body and head were long done and it was the embellishments (which can take just as much time) that needed finishing. So with my husband out saying farewell to a friend who’s leaving and the kids exhausted after an evening barbecuing in the park I settled with some rosé in front of Star Trek and stayed up until it was done. And her she is.


You’ll see from the original pattern picture below that I changed the mane and tail and horn a little and used rainbow wool for all. This just seemed to suit my girl.





Also, she loves fiddling with toys and hair and her toys’ hair so I made it easy to play/fiddle with the mane. Plus my girl has a fringe and (like her mother) has unruly hair so again this reflects my girl. 

So I finished, thanked the creator (Ilaria Caliri in this case) and put the final stitches in the nostrils (which I almost forgot) at around half midnight. Then I snuck upstairs, went into my sleeping girl’s room and found the most obvious place to put this unicorn so she woke up to find her. 

This morning she wondered into my room, hugging the unicorn, and beaming from ear to ear and thanked me. Totally worth it.

So which do you prefer? My take or the original? Mine’s a tiny bit bigger too.

See you soon, my friends. I now have to help my girl groom a horse (yes, we’re at the stables).

Much love and unicorn wishes to you all.



Comments